Thursday 19 August 2010

The Night Before The Beginning

It’s 9:40pm on the 19th August 2010; I have my bags packed (bar my laptop) I am feeling incredibly excited about my adventure however at the same time incredibly anxious and nervous. I keep telling myself it’s another year at Uni, no different, however in reality it is completely different. I’m not going just a few hours up the train line. I’m going over the Northern Sea to a country I’ve never been to before with a language I have never studied in school before and have only really learnt a few phrases during my summer holiday. The Swedes may well speak English but I intend to learn Swedish and become semi fluent out of respect mainly. This is probably the biggest event in my life to date, bigger than going to uni which was a huge event, but going to live abroad is so much bigger in my eyes.

Tomorrow I get the train from Leeds Central to London Kings Cross first thing in the morning, then make my way towards Heathrow for my flight. I will land in Stockholm in the evening (Sweden time) I’m spending the night in Stockholm staying at the Mälardrottningen Hotel which is a Yacht converted into a hotel right in the centre of the city. This should give me some time either in the evening or early next morning to have a quick walk around Stockholm before catching a bus for a 4 hour journey to Jönköping. I’m not sure what accommodation I am going to get until I get there it seems, thankfully I know I have some though! Sunday will probably be a day to explore my new home for the year & get to know my new flatmates before the shenanigans of welcome week.

Well I shall call it a night now internet and try and get some sleep but the excitement will probably keep me awake.
Adjö´ så lä´nge!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you got there safely Alex and your adventure is just beginning! Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete